Home About 30 Before 30 Blogroll Contact Disclosure

Monday, September 27, 2010

Our Secret Language

Baby Marv sharing a secret with Baby Harry -- oh, how I love them!

Matthew and I were hanging out in our room, rehashing the day's events, when I imagined what it would be like if some random stranger listened in on our conversation, and couldn't help but chuckle to myself.  About 1/3 of the words we use in our daily conversations with each other are slang words that either we made up, or a close family/friend made up and somehow got mixed into our lingo.

Who knows, maybe one day, we'll both grow up and start using only normal Webster dictionary vocabulary.  For now, here's a little taste of the terms we use when we're with each other:


Awkbod:  adjective. Another word for "awkward". Derived from a friendly joke about someone's pants not fitting correctly due to someone's "awkward body" (I did not come up with this -- blame Mathew and his friends). Commonly used to describe an awkward appearance or situation.  "Those jeans are awkbod" or "Today I cursed in front of a kid and his parents.  Awkbod." 

Hack: adjective. The quality of being huge in amount or size.  Basically another word for the Norcal slang, "hella".  "I'm am hack tired from blogging all day" or "That 4x4 burger from In & Out is hack."

Shmeagle: nick name. A term of endearment that is generally used when no one else is around.  Derived from Smeagol from Lord of the Rings and Captain Hook's boatswain, Smee.

SBIB [prounounced "es-bib"]:  expression. SBIB stands for "Sorry 'bout it, bud" and is used as a sarcastic jab towards someone who complains about or encounters a situation that totally sucks for them.

Friend 1:   You drank the last beer!
Friend 2: SBIB! You should've been here first.

Yagga: interjection. Used the same way as "whoa".  "That car almost hit us.  Yagga."

Bug: adjective.  Originally "bugalug" but was eventually shortened to just "bug". Another word for fat or overweight.    "We've gotten so bug over the last year, but we still love each other!"

L.I.G.: expression. L.I.G. stands for "Let it Go". 

Me: I'm so full but there's one more bite of this delicious burger left.
Matthew: L.I.G, shmeagle.  L.I.G.

24: verb.  Code word for the act of eavesdropping.  Derived from Christmas EVE, which falls on the 24th of December. 

Me:  Matt, I've asked you this question 5 times already? You're obviously not listening to me. Are you 24-ing on the couple sitting at the table next to us?
Matthew:  Yes.

General shortening of words: I have no idea how it started, but we tend to shorten many commonly used words.  Sometimes I forget that other people may not understand what I'm trying to say and have been the recipient to many confused stares by my friends, coworkers and family members.

Irra: Short for either "irritating" or "irresponsible".  "You're being so irra today!"
Ridic: ridiculous
Conch: contribution
Croosh: crucial
Stoop: stupid
... and the list goes on and on and on...

Abbreviating all food joints: SB (Starbucks), C (Chevys), MD (McDonalds), OG (Olive Garden), BR (Baskin Robbins),  etc. It can get a little tricky when abbreviating food places because some have the same abbreviation.  However, it's a lot easier when used in context - i.e. "I'm feeling so tired, I need an SB fix."

--------

One day I'll record one of our conversations just so you can get an idea of how crazy we can sometimes sounds to the untrained ear.

Do you and your SO have a secret language?