Home About 30 Before 30 Blogroll Contact Disclosure

Friday, February 4, 2011

Faking It...

(Originally written November 15, 2010)




The first trimester is the most critical time for your baby's development, and unfortunately, lots of things can go wrong. We didn't want to tell people about our pregnancy until we got through the first three months, in case anything bad were to happen. I know for sure our parents would have been so devasted if we had to break any bad news to them, and we didn't want to cause any unecessary pain...


So for the longest 10 weeks of my life, we had to "fake it" and pretend that we weren't pregnant.


Should be easy, right? I thought it would be...

I avoided going out to dinner with friends (might have looked suspicious if I ran to the bathroom after every meal), and stayed in most of the weekends.


However, there were some events that we couldn't avoid without drawing any attention.


Halloween is usually a holiday we like to celebrate in full costume and intoxication. This year, the plan was to go to Reno with a group of friends to party at the Peppermill Hotel.


It was still way too early to tell people, so I had a dilemma: How was I going to fake drinking alcohol in front of other people AND pretend to be drunk at the same time?


I mean, as a little girl I did have aspirations of becoming a famous actress, but I'm not delusional. I know I am a horrible actress.


Here was my game plan: I would tell them that I was not feeling well that day, so I would have an excuse not to drink any shots. However, at the club, I would order "Shirley Temples" to act as "Vodka cranberries"... and I would try my best to be super outgoing... and perhaps pretend to stumble a little bit throughout the night. Also, if I needed to throw up because of my morning sickness, I can blame it on the alcohol. Perfect, right?


I think I did pretty decent that night... Granted, the night was pretty short and we spent the majority of the evening eating instead of partying (that's my kind of night!), but I'm pretty sure I didn't rouse any suspicion.


I will gladly accept my Academy Award now, thankyouverymuch!