Home About 30 Before 30 Blogroll Contact Disclosure

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Letter to Me

writing a letter


Familiar with that Brad Paisley song? If not, you should listen to it... it's some good stuff (if you like Country). The song is about what Mr. Paisley would have said to his 17-year-old self... here's a snippet:

"And oh you got so much going for you going right
But I know at 17 it’s hard to see past Friday night
She wasn’t right for you
And still you feel like there’s a knife sticking out of your back
And you’re wondering if you’ll survive
You’ll make it through this and you’ll see
You’re still around to write this letter to me"

It got me thinking... What would I say if I could write a letter to myself 10 years ago? I probably would tell myself to stop thinking I was fat because I will never fit into the jeans I wore in high school ever again... Or to spend more time with my Lola (grandmother) instead of hanging out with friends at every chance I had.

Though I can't go back in time to change what I would have done differently in the past, I did find this cool site where you can write to yourself in the future - FutureMe.org. It's pretty neat and easy to do! You just go to the site, write a letter, and choose the date you want the letter e-mailed to you.

I learned about the site last year - in the midst of all the wedding planning - and decided to write a letter to the future married me on our 6-month anniversary. I totally forgot about it, so when I saw the email on February 8, 2010, it was a huge surprise. I found it funny looking back at what my biggest worries were. Everything worked out and I didn't really need to stress about them as much as I had:

Dear FutureMe,

It is July 16th, 2009 and you are getting ready to marry the love of your life on August 8, 2009.

In the past few weeks, these have been your...

Biggest Worries:

- Berni not having the window decal and having to order new ones
- Macy's (concord) giving Matthew's rehearsal suit away
- Finishing the wedding programs!
- Wrapping all the BM & GM presents in time for the rehearsal dinner

Happiest Moments:

- My Bridal Shower and all the presents! Woohoo for lingerie.
- No-Hitter Giants game on our 8-year anni - we're the Giants' lucky charm!

Next on To-Buy List:

- Petals & Bubble Bath for Ner’s wedding night
- Frame for Giants' game tix

Moments looking forward to:

- Ner & Marc's rehearsal & wedding!

The last 18 months have truly been a whirlwind of events, but I have had sooo much fun doing it and spending every moment with Matthew...

I love him. He makes my heart smile.

I am so excited to finally be married and spend 13 days in Australia!!!

PastMe,
Aubrey [Maiden Name]

Haaa. I'm so cheesy sometimes... I even make myself gag a little from the corniness of my writing. Anyway, I enjoyed the exercise so much that I wrote myself another letter for my 30th birthday. You should, too! Here. Do it now :)